Monday, December 8, 2008

Shitty First Drafts by Anne Lamott

Now this lovely piece of art caught my attention right off the bat. It’s catchy (and somewhat inappropriate) title was something I could relate to seeing as how I am an aspiring writer myself. Although in my style of writing I do things just a little bit different. I do my best to make it as perfect as humanly possible for a first draft. And then of course comes the next step of grammar and spell check. This small step is added in because my method of motivation (last minute panic) usually calls for a quick escape plan just in case I get caught up in other work… or decide to play video games instead. And if such an emergency happens upon my poor busy self, I would have a somewhat presentable paper to turn in. But of course, I don’t always slack off. On special occasions a get past the second step and reread what I wrote always finding things to elaborate upon or add detail to. This step is what usually ensures a good grade while just the first two steps are a decent grade.
It’s times like these that I honestly thank the high heavenly spirits that I don’t have to experience that hells of a type writer. Having to write multiple drafts and using an endless amount of paper. The costs would be astronomical. Not to mention the amount of gas having to go back and forth buying ink and paper. Then of course the cost of buying typewriter after type writer because I of all people would be the first to admit that if I had a typewriter it would constantly be going out the nearest window because I would constantly hit the wrong letter when I’m trying to type fast. It would be a pain in the ARSE!!!
This kind lady knew exactly what he was talking about while writing this. And it actually give me some kind of comfort in knowing that I’m not the only person in the world who could possibly look at their first draft of a paper and actually make a face that would make a baby cry.

No comments: